The Number of Choices in Metal Roofing Panels Is Steadily Growing
Years ago metal roofs were either costly and time consuming applications that few could afford or consisted of only a one size fits all type roofing panel. Those days fortunately are long gone. Today metal roofing choices are as numerous as most any other type of roofing material. It’s great to have choices when it comes to the type of roofing material you want, and metal roofing certainly gives you that.
Why do people choose metal roofing materials over less expensive roofing materials such as asphalt shingles? There are many reasons for that. Most have to do with durability but looks are starting to play a bigger role now that consumers are being offered more choices in this highly decorative roofing material.
The Different Types of Metal Roofs
These days there are two main styles of metal roofing that you can add to the roof at your home or business.
They are as follows:
Metal Roofing shingles
Although metal roofing shingles can give you similar looks to metal roofing panels most people do not use them for that purpose. These come in decorative patterns that closely mimic the looks of such very expensive roofing materials as black slate, tile and other specialty roofing shingles. The advantage you get with them is they are more durable than any other type of roofing shingle with the exception being synthetic shingle products.
These metal shingle products often have added layers on them too. These layers add to their durability and corrosion resistance.
Metal Roofing panels
Here are the most common types of metal roofing panels that you will find in the roofing products marketplace:
- R-Panel - These generally are the least expensive form of metal roofing panel. A lot of that has to do with how easy they are to install. They are extremely popular because they are a very low maintenance roofing material and they can be placed over asphalt shingles when retrofitting a roof with them.
R-panel metal roofing is most often found made from 26 gauge commercial steel that has been coated to give it a better look and help protect it from the elements.
This type of roofing panel should last you 30+ years if it’s installed and taken care of properly. It comes in a very wide range of designer colors too. You should easily be able to find it in the exact color choice you want to compliment the looks of the rest of your home’s exterior.
These roofing panels are also available in upgraded variations that make them much more beneficial than traditional R-panel metal roofing panels. Some of these upgraded versions R-panel versions are known as AB-panels and PBR-panels.
- Corrugated - This is by far the most time tested metal roofing material. It dates back to the time of Ancient Rome. Many refer to it as rippled metal roofing panels because of its wavy look. For years this was the metal roofing of choice for commercial, industrial and agricultural buildings but is now carving a bigger niche in the residential roofing market too.
Most corrugated type roofing panels are made out of steel but on rare occasions iron is still used in their composition too. To help them last longer and resist corrosion they are ‘hot-dip galvanized’. This process gives them better resistance against corrosive elements found in polluted air and water.
There are a roofing panel that when installed right should last up to 50 years. They are also manufactured in a wide variety of colors.
- Raised Seam - This is fast becoming the most popular type of metal roofing material. It looks amazing when installed properly and offers an ultra-high level of leak and wind resistance. They are the type of roofing material that will make a home or business stand out from the others around it.
Raised seam metal roofing panels are durable and weather resistant because of the way they interlock tightly together. They shed water and snow extremely well. This type of roofing panel very rarely leaks because as the name suggests their seams connect together above the water runoff zone.
This type of metal roofing panel comes in a large variety of prices. Most of that is due to the type of metal they are made of. They can be made of less expensive metals like coated steel and zinc or more expensive metals like aluminum and copper.
They come in a wide variety of color choices and if you add them to your roof they should last you 50+ years.
The Many Benefits of Metal Roofing
What are some of the better reasons for choosing decorative metal roofing materials? Here are a few of the main reasons why people prefer metal over other roofing products:
- They look great
- Metal roofing panels add value to your home
- It’s a very durable roofing material – often lasting 30+ years
- A safe roofing choice – fire and wind resistant
- Energy efficient – metal roofing is reflective and that’s shown to reduce cooling bills
- Environmentally friendly – can be recycled when replaced
Metal Roofing Panels are Always a Great Choice
No matter what type of metal roofing panels you choose to place on your home or business’s roof you are making a wise choice. You just get so many benefits from them and they are such a durable and long lasting roofing material. If you are planning on owning your home for a while they often will prove to be the last roofing material you will ever have to put on your home. Metal roofing materials really are that good.
If you live in the Beaverton, Oregon area and are interested in adding high quality metal roofing materials, then you will need a reliable and reputable roofing contractor to install them for you. One of the best in the area at installing metal roofing products is Evergreen Renovations & Roofing. They have been satisfying metal roofing customers in Beaverton and the surrounding communities for many years now.