Why it’s So Important Water Runs off Your Roof Properly
Many people are satisfied with the condition of their roof and gutter systems as long as they do not leak. Unfortunately, that attitude can lead to some big expenses. Why, you might ask? It’s because if water does not run off your roof properly nothing good will come from it. That’s why it’s so important that your roof and gutter system always be kept in good working order.
What happens when this is not the case at your home? Any one of the following problems can occur with improper roof runoff:
- Water can puddle in uneven spots on your roof and leaves will also collect there. This will cause accelerated rotting and leaking.
- Gutters and downspouts can overflow and cause damage by shedding water where it’s not supposed to go.
- Water can be deposited too close to your foundation and cause problems with it.
- Sagging or un-level gutters can deposit water in areas where it can more easily cause damage.
- Standing water on your roof can weaken sealants around chimneys and roof vents and cause them to leak. It will also form mold and mildew which will cause roofing material and underlayment decay.
These are all problems that if not addressed could lead to major structural damage at your home and the big expense that goes along with repairing it.
The Three Keys to Proper Roof Water Runoff
- Maintain Your Roof in Good Condition
The pitch of your roof should be constant and your roofing material should always be kept in good working order. Spots where water is ponding or leaves collecting on your roof are a sign that you will soon have water runoff problems.
- Pay Attention to Gutters and Downspouts
Make sure that you clean your gutters on a periodic basis. Gutters and downspouts should not leak. Your gutters and downspouts should also be corrosion free and level.
- Install adequate yard drainage
Proper yard drainage will prevent any water from ponding around your foundation or leaving soft and mushy areas that never seem to dry in your yard.
The Best Way to Maintain Proper Roof Water Runoff
So what steps can you take to make sure water runs off your roof properly? The first thing is to periodically inspect your roof, gutters, downspouts and yard drainage. There will be telltale signs if any of these are not doing their job when it comes to water runoff.
What can you do if you suspect there is a problem with the water runoff from your roof? We suggest you contact a professional to come do an inspection. Roofing contractors like Evergreen Renovations & Roofing out of Beaverton, Oregon will usually offer free inspections of your roof, gutters and downspouts. A professional opinion is always better than an educated guess.
So make sure all of your roof and other water runoff components are maintained in good working order. If you do this then there is a good chance you will never have the problems and expense that are created by improper water runoff on your home.